Dr. Starrah's Notes

Notes and answers to questions about a range of topics.

Should I Graduate Early.pdf

Should I Graduate Early?

Enjoy the "Dr.'s Notes" about making the decision to graduate early. Use the contents to begin a dialogue with your "teammates".

What to do in the Waiting Season.pdf

What do do in the Waiting Season

What kind of "checklist" should you be working from? Read the "Dr.'s Notes" about what to do while you wait for your admissions decision.

Can I use an address out of state to get in-state tuition?

Great question! There is much to the answer. First, remember FAFSA uses "prior-prior" years for allocating financial aid. That means, in order to determine if you will be charged in-state or out-of-state tuition, the address you used - or that your parent/guardian used - in the previous two years will make that determination. In order for you to use an out-of-state address for a school to get in-state tuition, the person at the address will have had to claim you on their taxes the previous two years up through the year you apply.

Most state colleges and universities have lower out-of-state tuition rates than private colleges. Many private colleges have the same in-state and out-of-state tuition rate. Private colleges have great scholarship packages and some states have grant assistance for students who apply to private schools. Use the "College Selection Worksheet" to identify which schools these are to help make a decision for where you will apply.

What is the CSS Profile and where can I find it?

The College Scholarship Service Profile is a database managed by the College Board and provides non-federal scholarships to students who apply for admission at certain schools. The schools that use the CSS Profile are listed on the College Board website. Heads up...you should commit yourself to complete it when you have some time on your hands. Juniors should complete it the summer before their senior year and Seniors should complete it by October along with the FAFSA. The website for the CSS Profile is:

What if I don't use the scholarship I was offered?

What an excellent question! The first thing you do is contact the organization who awarded you the money and decline it. You decline scholarship dollars much like you decline admission to a school. You either write or e-mail correspondence to the organization. You thank them for their consideration and indicate that you do not wish to accept the award. The organization can then award the money to another student. Before you decline the offer, be sure to contact your Scholarship Counselor to let them know you were offered the award and that you declined.